-Prototyping is the process of creating systems through controlled trial and error.
-A prototype is an early sample or model to test a concept or process. A prototype is a small scale working system used to test the assumptions. Assumptions may be about user requirements, program design or internal logic.
-This method of system development can provide the organization with significant time and cost savings.
– By focusing mainly on what the user wants and sees, developers may miss some of the controls that come from the traditional systems development approach; therefore, a potential risk is that the finished system will have poor controls.
Rapid Application Development:
-RAD includes use of:
- Small and well trained development teams.
- Tools to support modelling, prototyping and component reusability.
- Central repository
- Rigid limits on development time frames
-RAD enables the organisation to develop systems quickly while reducing development cost and maintaining quality. This is achieved by use of above techniques.
– RAD relies on the usage of a prototype that can be updated continually to meet changing user or business requirements.
Point to remember for CISA Exam:
(1)In any given scenario, important advantage of prototyping is that it provides significant cost and time savings.
(2)In any given scenario, Top-up testing methods is MOST effective during the initial phases of Prototyping.
(3) In any given scenario, Rapid Application Development (RAD) uses a prototype approach that can be updated continually to meet changing user or business requirements.